We had an inexpensive Christmas dinner this year. I made this recipe, then added about 2 cups of mashed beans to thicken. Put in a bowl, sprinkle with cheese, use as a dip, and you almost have a complete meal! We also had beans and home made rotisserie chicken.
Chili Gravy (from Robb Walsh)
- 1/4 cup lard (or vegetable oil)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1-1/2 tsp powdered garlic
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano (Mexican oregano is preferred if it’s available)
- 2 T chile powder (either homemade or a dark brand such as Gebhardt’s or Whole Foods)
- 2 cups chicken broth (or water)
Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in the flour and continue stirring for 3 to 4 minutes, or until it makes a light brown roux.
Add all the dry ingredients and continue to cook for 1 minute, constantly stirring and blending ingredients. Add chicken broth or water, mixing and stirring until the sauce thickens.
Turn heat to low and let sauce simmer for 15 minutes. Add water to adjust the thickness.
Makes 2 cups.