So, I was reading a book (early 1900s) and it mentioned things needed in your sewing basket. One item, I had never heard of: an Emory bag. So, Google to the rescue. For those who may not know (like me) the book was basically referring to a pincushion. Today, anyone who grew up sewing or watching anyone sew and probably touches a small version of an Emory bag: do you remember the tomato pincushions with the strawberry dangling from the top? That strawberry was filled with Emory sand. It is for keeping the pins and needles sharp.
Two years ago, I got on a tangent to learn how to properly crochet. Last year, it was a little wood carving but mostly knitting (still is … I’m hoarding knitting patterns like the internet will shut down tomorrow). This year? Sewing. I have been an avid hoarder of all things “sewing” for as long as I can remember. I’ve been known to hold onto clothing I don’t like just because the fabric is a good quality. When I am offered any kind of fabric, I gratefully accept it. And patterns? As soon as I get the schedule down, I will be, once again, buying as many sale patterns as I am allowed. Most of my new patterns were purchased when they used to have rotating sales on McCall’s and Butterick (one week, McCall’s would be 99 cents each, the next week would be Butterick). Since that time, fabric stores have closed down (or moved) and I have lost track of when those sales occur.
Having said all that, until this past Winter, I had only sewn one garment with a pattern. That was when I was 16 years old and my friend’s mom was showing us how to not only sew from a pattern but to re-size and alter. That’s it. So, 29 years later, I decided to try my hand at another one (more about that in a future post). In reality, this drive stemmed from me looking inward to find out who I am and what my focus in life should be. I have so many varied interests (obvious from anyone who looks at all my blogs) I knew it would be difficult to narrow it down. That’s when I (once again) remembered high school and a short one-semester class I took: Home Ec. Bells started ringing, lights began to flash, and I jumped for joy! That’s basically what I my interests have been all these years!
As I began reading it, I realized just how uneducated I am. I had to look up most of the terms, regarding types of fabric. No matter how well they described some of them, I still had no idea what they were talking about (and seriously doubt most who work in the local fabric stores, which are now mostly large chain stores, would know).
The first project for these children was to make an apron. This apron is designed for sewing, to keep your clothes clean and neat. It called for a fabric called dimity. Even after looking it up, I cannot say I would know it if I saw it in the store. So, I went through my fabric stash and found some that I thought would be a good substitute. It turns out it wasn’t. I think the fabric is too dense for the pattern. See, the apron is basically one piece of fabric, that is gathered at the waist and the bottom is turned up to make pockets. This is what I ended up with:
How do you like those pockets? I also did not stitch this by hand. My patience was not with me and I have a new sewing machine I need to get used to, so I used it. I was supposed to make a button hole (I know I could do it by hand but I copped attitude) but I don’t know how to use my button hole attachment on this new machine. It bunched and just made me mad. 🙂 So, I thought about this (and thought about this) and ended up just removing the gathers and sewed on some Velcro for the closure in the back. The Velcro works but I think I’ll just extend the waist band so this can be tied. I love the new version:
It wraps almost all around my bum and that’s perfect, since I am messy when I cook, clean, sew, do anything crafty. It reminds me of an apron that showed up on my Facebook feed for gathering eggs (made from a pillow case). My next sewing post will be within the next week or so. I have made two items from one pattern (pajama pants and a robe). I’m about to lay out the pattern for the top, then I’ll make the shorts and post about those (my observations and musings about the experience). My eventual goal is to get to the point where I can make something I feel comfortable wearing out in public (Lord knows I have plenty of patterns to choose from). lol
This is how I finished it. The velcro wasn’t working. It wasn’t strong enough. So, I sewed on a different waist band, making it longer so I could wrap it around and tie it in the front. I’m happy with it!